Tuesday, July 20, 2010

James Jean's Eisner Winning Covers in 2007

I'm catching up to the present just in time for James Jean to miss out on his seventh consecutive Eisner for best cover artist. He isn't even nominated this year. But back to three years ago when Jean was still on his winning streak and provided cover art for two issues of Runaways along with the Fables spin-offs Jack of Fables and 1001 Nights of Snowfall.

This was also the toughest time to pick just five covers. While the Runaways covers aren't the best examples of Jean's work I wanted to include one of them. 1001 Nights of Snowfall had to be included so that was two down. And then everything else is terrific. What do I slight by picking out something else? I chose the two Fables covers because they're a matched set and consequently have an extra punch to them but I could have gone with anything from that year's worth of Fables or Jack of Fables covers.